Bookings are now closed. There will be a Summer Seasonal Yoga Retreat at Shizuka Ryokan in November 2018.
Winter Seasonal Yoga Retreat
6pm, Friday 13 July – 2pm, Sunday 15 July, 2018
Find resolve and a tranquil inner space this winter. The Winter Seasonal Yoga Retreat combines the ancient oriental wisdom of seasonal living, yoga practice, macrobiotic cooking and Japanese shiatsu massage.
Winter is the time to focus inwards and consolidate the body’s energy. With a focus on the kidney and bladder meridians, this is the season to build strength and stability, as well as a time to rest and regenerate the body.
This seasonal Winter retreat builds a full picture of Yin Yang Go Gyo, the guiding principles of Japanese Yoga, and explains how you can best work with the winter seasonal flow, and eat according to the seasons.
You will learn:
- yoga poses to strengthen your winter reserves
- to use food as your medicine and to create delicious and healthy winter meals
- techniques and practices to take your health into your own hands
- Japanese massage techniques and acupressure points.
You will enjoy:
- a shiatsu massage treatment designed to suit your individual conditions
- moving deep into asana practice, and discovering what Japanese yoga is all about
- hands-on macrobiotic Japanese cooking demonstrations and dietary therapeutics discussions; take home seasonal recipes and nutritional guidance
- discovering a variety of meditation techniques, breath, mudras and asanas to allow you to work towards true vibrant physical and mental health
- the tranquillity of a traditional Japanese ryokan with hospitality of honour, Zen design, aromatic tatami flooring, sliding shoji paper screens, and comfortable futon bedding
- soaking in a Japanese style deep bath overlooking your private courtyard garden
- guided walks in the historic Hepburn Mineral Springs Reserve with a traditional Japanese bento picnic
- four-course banquet Japanese dinner and traditional Japanese breakfasts
- Japanese tea service.
Arrive at 6pm, Friday 13 July – 2pm, Sunday 15 July, 2018
- Twin share $850 (Early Bird) / $950
- Private room $1,350 (Early Bird) / $1,450
- Daytrippers (sat only) $250 (Early Bird) / $270
*Early Bird ends 31st May
About the instructors
Lars Skalman worked in top end restaurants in Sweden and Sydney for 20 years until he became interested in macrobiotic and wholefood cooking. He has extensive experience cooking on yoga retreats, where his somewhat unorthodox approach to macrobiotics has made it easier for people to alter their attitudes toward healthy eating. He is also a yoga teacher and shiatsu therapist.
Cate Peterson has over three decades’ experience as a Japanese yoga teacher, meditation teacher, occupational therapist and masseuse. Her work with individuals and organisations through United Nations World Yoga Day ,YogaHive and Get Off Your Asana is all about bringing yoga practice to full fruition in Australia, so that it can take its place in addressing our communal health.
Riki Edelsten integrates Meridian and Five Element theory into yoga classes, along with Vipassana Meditation, and her love of dance and music. Riki is passionate about sustaining natural ecosystems and sees yoga and food as a pathway to create healthy people, communities and environments.